Tuesday, January 20, 2009

That post retreat feeling

At the weekend I was at the Dhanakosa retreat centre near Loch Voil for a Buddhist retreat; my first.

I instinctively bagged a top bunk bed, a reflex action 40 years old. With two brothers the top bunk was always the prize. My fellow retreaters later told me the top bunk was to be avoided because they wobbled.

The centre is set in the middle of amazing countryside in peace quiet and at night, complete darkness.
Arriving in the dark we had no idea what would await us in the morning when we emerged from the morning meditation to see the loch and snow covered hills.

A lot more meditation followed, some group discussion, a lung bursting hill walk and an evening of complete silence preceded by a rousing 7-fold Puja lead by Dharmachari Nagaraja meant the group were well relaxed and nourished with excellent vegetarian food.

The snow on Sunday lead to spirited walks at the loch side before our final discussions and departure for homes far and near.

A few days later I don't think I have yet realised the full effect the retreat has had on me. I'm not sure I would go again, but you never know. Here are some photos


No comments: