Of the few benefits accrued from moving to an office in Kilmarnock is proximity to Mamitas Coffee Shop in Bank Street.
I searched for a Starbucks equivalent in Kilmarnock for a while. I even sent pleading letters to Starbucks UK for them to set up a store in Kilmarnock or Irvine to no avail, which turned out to be the wrong address.
I didn't notice Mamitas right away. It's a hidden gem.
The best thing about Mamitas is the warm welcome and the next best thing is the fresh scones, baked at 0630. The shop opens at 0800 and in a weird way, the place is usually half full at 0805. I have no idea where the people appear from. They just appear and they are all regulars, say good morning and I haven't the first idea of their names or who they are. Lovely atmosphere.
|Date and Ginger!|
It hasn't turned in to a global viral meme monstrosity, but there are regular scone predictors that often make me LOL (get me with the young person phrases) first thing in the morning .Sometimes people even get them right, but that's not the point.
There aren't very many flavours and there is a cyclical nature to them, Monday is always Treacle Scone day, but that hasn't stopped the loyal #psychicscone twitter followers suggesting imaginative flavours and combinations. I decided to compile a list of the weird ones. I should say that there is one flavour I will not countenance. Cherry scones are just wrong, WRONG I tell you.
For your enjoyment:
|Apple and Cinnamon!|
- octopus and ryvita @AiTinpot
- Stilton and marmoset @jnanagarbha
- ptarmigan and nutmeg @jnanagarbha
- cheese (team guess) @rogue_cannons
- Cheese, coleslaw & amp; deep fried asparagus @AiTinpot
- Breadstick and Angel Delight @AiTinpot
- Mushy Peas and Scotch Egg @AiTinpot
- horse & dime bar @rogue_cannons
- haddock & porridge @jnanagarbha
- Chick pea and haddock? @AiTinpot
- Shetland Pony and Cheese @L_McNeil
- Sunyata @jnanagarbha
- Horse hair and a chomp bar @AiTinpot
- Dime bar and figs? @AiTinpot
- Apple and Cinnamon!! @rogue_cannons
- Donkey & Pavement @rogue_cannons
- Date with treacle. @L_McNeil
- Rubber chicken and horse @rogue_cannons
- The bitter taste of betrayal @jnanagarbha
- horse and red berries flavour @rogue_cannons
- Tyre, date & baby deer flavour @rogue_cannons
- Apple, cinnamon & sultana @rogue_cannons
- Apple, cinnamon and raisin @_HomeHarmony
- Pear, date and cinnamon @L_McNeil
- bacon, egg + chips scone! @mig29conn
- white chocolate, cherry + almonds Mick at @mig29conn
- bacon + egg? @mig29conn
- cheese + onion? @mig29conn
- sushi or prawn? @MConn01 @mig29conn
- bangers + mash? @mig29conn